Green Beans with Bacon–My Classic Side
I’ve had this recipe for Jim’s Green Beans with Bacon for more years than I can count. This recipe has survived all the cooking trends from the 1980s well into the 2000s. I’ve served it to a countless number of people. It’s what I call a classic.
Years ago I was invited to share a dinner with my friend, Jim, from work. I was expecting a burger on the grill, a baked potato and maybe a green bean casserole. What a shock it was when the meal was served. Delicious marinated chicken on the grilled, a twice baked potato and the most delcious green beans with bacon I ever tasted. Yes, this guy could cook!.
Over the last many years, I’ve lost track of my friend. But this recipe for Jim’s Green Beans with Bacon will forever be my classic side.
How to Make Jim’s Green Beans with Bacon
- Fry bacon pieces in wok or large pan over medium heat.
- Remove the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Drain all but 1 Tablespoon of fat from the pan.
- Turn heat to high.
- Flattened garlic clove (if using) with a knife and add to the grease.
- Brown garlic for about 1 minute and remove.
- Add green beans. Stir fry for a couple of minutes, coating beans with bacon grease.
- Add 1/2 cup chicken broth to the pan.
- Bring to a boil, cover and lower heat.
- Simmer, covered, for 8 minutes.
- Remove the cover and turn heat to HIGH.
- Bring to a boil.
- Mix in sugar, if using.
- Stir fry on high heat until all liquid boils away.
- Add bacon pieces to the green beans before serving.
A few notes
- Adding a garlic clove is optional but it does add great flavor. Be sure to just add it to the pan for 1 minute; don’t burn it.
- Adding optional sugar makes for a sweet/salty glaze to the green beans. So delcious but if you’re watching your sugar intake, these Green Beans with Bacon are still amazingly delcious without it.
- I’ve been know to make this recipe ahead of time. I reheat and add the bacon right before serving.
- You can make this recipe with vegetable oil, about 1 tablespoon or so, instead of bacon fat. It will still taste great but as you already know, bacon makes everything taste better!
Other Favorite Recipes
Jim's Green Beans with Bacon
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1 clove garlic (optional but so good)
- 1 pound fresh green beans, cut into thirds
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (made with chicken base or bouillon)
- 1 Tablespoon sugar (optional)
- FRY bacon in wok or large pan over medium heat. REMOVE bacon and DRAIN all but 1 tablespoon of fat from pan.
- TURN heat to high. FLATTEN garlic clove (if using) with a knife and ADD to grease. BROWN garlic in wok for about 1 minute and then REMOVE garlic.
- ADD green beans. STIR FRY for a couple of minutes. COAT beans with bacon grease.
- ADD 1/2 cup chicken broth. BRING to a boil. COVER and lower heat to a SIMMER (low heat) for 8 to 10 minutes.
- REMOVE cover and TURN heat to high. BRING to a boil. ADD sugar (if using). MIX on high until all liquid boils away. ADD bacon pieces before serving.