Perfect for the Holidays
This recipe for Cranberry Brie Crostini is perfect for the holiday season. It’s colorful, delicious and so embarrassingly easy to make.
I like to think it’s actually healthy. They’re at least healthier than some of the things I eat during the holiday season the year. This recipe is loaded with cheese, butter and sugar, but cranberries have great health benefits.
Cranberries are chock full of healthy nutrients and antioxidants. Cranberries have earned the title of “Super Food.” They are loaded with vitamin C, fiber and over two dozen phytonutrients.
The nutrients in cranberries may lower the risk of certain cancers, boost your immune system, decrease blood pressure. All those phytonutrients help our bodies fight oxidative stress that cause a variety of health problems. Studies show they may actually lower risk for urinary tract infections.
Fresh cranberries are wonderful but, unfortunately, I love them loaded with SUGAR. Otherwise they definitely are “bitter berries.” I try to reduce the amount of sugar when I prepare my favorite Cranberry Sauce, but it’s tough to do.
I keep this recipe for special occasions. And I’m sure are worse things for me to be eating than this Cranberry Brie Crostini, regardless of the sugar.
Cranberry Brie Crostini
- 1 French baguette, sliced thin
- ½ 14-ounce can cranberry sauce or about 1 cup of homemade cranberry sauce
- 2 Tablespoons orange zest (optional)
- 3 Tablespoons butter. melted
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 5 ounces brie
- HEAT oven to 400°F.
- PLACE baguette slices on foil-lined or parchment paper-lined baking sheet
- .In a medium microwave-safe bowl, COMBINE cranberry sauce and orange zest, if using. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, COMBINE melted butter and olive oil
- BRUSH the tops of baguette slices with butter/olive oil mixture.
- TOAST baguette slices for 7-8 minutes, until golden and crispy. REMOVE from oven
- SLICE brie into thin pieces (about ¼ inch pieces).
- PLACE 1 piece of brie onto each toasted baguette slice.
- RETURN to the oven for about 3-5 minutes until brie begins to melt. REMOVE from oven.
- HEAT cranberry sauce in the microwave until warm.
- TOP each crostini with 1 teaspoon cranberry sauce. SERVE immediately.