Can you fall in love with rice?
Not until I tried this recipe for Lime Rice with Garlic and Cilantro did I think rice was worth talking about, To me, rice is rice. It’s kind of plain. And I’m not talking about Minute Rice. Stay away from that stuff. I’m talking about plain rice that you have to cook on the stove for several minutes or in a rice cooker (I love mine, by the way! I’d be happy to tell you why brand it is except it’s so old I can’t read the label on it).
But then I tried this recipe for Lime Rice with Garlic and Cilantro. Oh my, oh my it is so good. The flavors were unbelievably delicious. I fell in LOVE with this recipe. Keep in mind, I love anything with Lime.
This dish reminds me of the lime rice they serve at Chipolte Mexican grill. It’s almost restaurant quality right in your own kitchen.
I feel like Cilantro Rice, as it’s known at my house, has become a staple side dish during the summer months. I may be guilty of over serving this dish because it goes with everything coming off the grill.
The Perfect Side
This lime rice with garlic and cilantro is the perfect side for fajitas or anything Mexican. I even prefer it to the typical Spanish rice dish you typically eat on a Tex-Mex combo platter. It’s lighter and fresher.
It’s also great as a side with grilled salmon. Or any grilled fish for that matter. Chicken, kebabs…the list goes on.
What makes it special?
The fresh lime. I love the taste of fresh lime, especially during grill season. And this recipe has the perfect blend of lime, garlic an cilantro.
Even better is you can adjust these three ingredients to suit your taste. A little less or a little more of lime, garlic and/or cilantro works just as well. Recipes that are adjustable to taste are hard to mess up–my favorite kind.
Easy cleanup, too, as you only use one pan. It a keeper!.
Lime Rice with Garlic and Cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 3 to 4 cups chicken broth
- Juice of 3 limes and zest of 2 limes hold back juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro or to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium heat. ADD onion. COOK for approximately 3 minutes. ADD garlic and COOK for about 1 additional minute. ADD rice and REDUCE heat to low.
- COOK for 3 minutes, stirring constantly to avoid burning the rice. ADD 3 cups of the broth. ADD lime juice and zest of 2 limes. TURN UP the heat and BRING to a boil.
- REDUCE heat to low, COVER and SIMMER for approximately 10 to 15 minutes, or until rice is done. CHECK occasionally and ADD more liquid if needed.
- When ready to serve, ADD the juice of 1 lime and cilantro to taste. STIR to combine and SERVE.