A Healthy Spin on Fall Vegetables
I’m putting Roasted Green Beans and Sweet Potatoes with Cranberries on my Thanksgiving menu this year.
Every year I seem to repeat tried and true family favorites (the Classics) for Thanksgiving dinner. That’s not a bad thing, but I still like sneaking something new into the menu. This year I’ll be adding Roasted Green Beans and Sweet Potatoes with Cranberries.
Roasting the veggies really brings out the flavor. And I especially love that this recipe is so easy to make. One pan and done (for the most part).
How to Make Roasted Green Beans and Sweet Potatoes with Cranberries
- Before starting, preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a rimmed sheet pan with foil or parchment paper.
- After peeling the sweet potatoes, slice them in half lengthwise.
- Slice them down the middle, again lengthwise.
- Next slice them into 1/2-inch-thick slices. You don’t have to be exact but try keeping size as uniform as possible. It helps keep doneness the same throughout as they roast.
- Place the sweet potatoes and green beans on the pan.
- Toss with 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt and a little black pepper to taste.
- Roast the vegetables for 20 minutes, stirring once halfway through roasting. I set my timer for 10 minutes, stir veggies, and then reset my timer for another 10 minutes.
- While vegetables roast, make the vinaigrette.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 2 Tablespoons of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard, garlic and ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Remove the vegetables from oven after 20 minutes.
- Stir in the dried cranberries and thyme.
- Return the pan to the oven.
- Roast veggies/cranberries for an additional 5 minutes.
- Toss vegetables with the vinaigrette.
- Serve the vegetables warm or at room temperature.
Other Fall Favorites
Roasted Green Beans and Sweet Potatoes with Cranberries
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled
- 12 ounces fresh green beans, ends trimmed
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 teaspoon fresh thyme)
- PREHEAT oven to 425 degrees.
- SLICE the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise, and then slice them into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- LINE a rimmed sheet pan with foil or parchment paper.
- PLACE sliced sweet potatoes green beans on the pan.
- TOSS with 2 Tablespoons olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and black pepper to taste.
- ROAST for 20 minutes, stirring once halfway through roasting
- While vegetables roast, make the vinaigrette
- In a small bowl, COMBINE remaining 2 Tablespoons of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard, garlic and ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- REMOVE vegetables from oven.
- STIR in cranberries and thyme..
- RETURN pan to oven.
- ROAST an additional 5 minutes.
- TOSS vegetables with the vinaigrette. SERVE vegetables warm or at room temperature.