Apple, Cranberry and Candied Pecan Coleslaw is jam packed with nutrition. Cabbage, carrots, apples, nuts and yogurt. We could start with counting grams of fiber and end with what seems like a never ending list of vitamins and minerals. Using Greek yogurt instead of my usual go-to, Hellman’s mayo lowers the fat grams and increases the calcium.
One of the things I like about this recipe is there’s lots of room to improvise.
If you want to keep this a little healthier and don’t mind a less creamier texture, then use 1/4 c mayo and 3/4 c yogurt. Just remember to taste the dressing after combining ingredients and adjust accordingly.
I add a little Dijon mustard because I usually think it needs a “little something.”
I also use a more like ½ cup honey. A sweeter flavored coleslaw seems to be my preference. Remember to add extras in a little at a time until you reach the bliss point for your palate.
Do the type of apples matter
As for the apples, I use a mixture. Pink Lady, because they’re extra healthy (tied for healthiest with Red Delicious), and Granny Smith, because they’re tangy with good texture. They don’t turn brown as fast as the others when exposed to air either. But use whatever works best for you or whatever you have lurking in the fridge
And the nuts, I planned to just use candied pecans. Then I felt a little guilty about all that sugar, so I went halfsies—a combination of candied pecans and walnuts. Once again, your choice. Toasted sliced almonds would be nice or even sunflower or pumpkin seeds.
This is a great side dish for pulled pork sandwiches or any BBQ sandwich.
Apple and Cranberry Coleslaw
- ½ cup plain Greek Yogurt (I used Fage 2% brand)
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼-½ cup honey (closer to ¼ cup for me)
- 2-3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½-1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard (optional but it adds flavor)
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste (I used closer to 1 teaspoon)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 6-8 cups shredded coleslaw mix or 1 small cabbage, shredded (6-8 cups packed)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 large apples, sliced into matchsticks (about 3 cups) (I used 1 Red Delicious and 1 Granny Smith)
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- ¾ cup candied pecans or walnuts, rough chopped (any nuts or even sunflower seeds work here)
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- COMBINE Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, honey, apple cider vinegar, and mustard (if using) in a mixing bowl and WHISK until smooth.
- ADD salt and pepper. Taste and add more if needed.
- In a large mixing bowl, COMBINE slaw mix (or shredded cabbage), carrots, apples, green onions, nuts and cranberries. ADD dressing and TOSS to coat evenly. SERVE immediately.