Deluxe Waldorf Salad
Fall has arrived, and this Deluxe Waldorf Salad is making a regular appearance on my lunch menu. It’s fresh, it’s crunchy, and it’s delcious. Did I mention that this salad is also healthy? It is that and it’s beautiful, too.
History of the Waldorf Salad
Considered the quintessential American salad, the original Waldorf salad was created by the maitre d’ Oscar Tschirky (chur-key) at the Waldorf Hotel in New York City in 1896. It was a super simple recipe–apples and celery mixed with mayonnaise.
As the years went on, the salad evolved. By the 1920s, the salad also included grapes and walnuts. By the 1930s, gelatin (Jello-O) salads versions were becoming popular. And so the salad adapted. Even marshmallows were added when they became popular.
Many variations of the salad have been created since. These days the “basic” Waldorf Salad recipe consists of chopped apple, celery, grapes and walnuts with a mayonnaise-based dressing. No more marshmallows or Jell-O.
But the version I’m enjoying most, is the based on a recipe I found in Mandy’s Salad Cookbook. With Fall fruits, fresh greens, and a balsamic vinaigrette, it’s perfection. A huge thank you once again to @mandysalads for giving me so much inspiration for creating my own amazing salads.
What’s in a Deluxe Waldorf Salad
- Chopped Romaine lettuce
- Mixed spring greens
- Diced apple
- Diced pear
- Diced celery
- Sliced red or green grapes or dried cranberries
- Walnuts or pecans
- Crumbled blue cheese
- Balsamic vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
How to make a Deluxe Waldorf Salad
- Place all of the salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, add the ingredients for balsamic dressing and blend to combine. My handheld blender works great for making this dressing.
- Slowly add the balsamic dressing to the salad bowl. I usually start out with 1/4 cup of the dressing and add up to 1/3 cup. Mix the salad well and serve.
Other Fall Favorites
Deluxe Waldorf Salad
- 2 cups Romaine lettuce chopped
- 2 cups mixed spring greens
- 1 apple diced
- 1 pear diced
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 3/4 cup sliced red or green grapes or dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4-1/3 cup balsamic dressing
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 1/3 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- PLACE salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, BLEND ingredients for balsamic dressing.
- ADD 1/4-1/3 cup balsamic dressing and TOSS until well mixed.