Perfect Marinade for Grilled Chicken
This recipe for Tropical Grilled Chicken is perfect for the grill this summer. It has the perfect amount of sweetness balanced with just enough spice to wake up your taste buds.
My usual go-to marinade is Best Ever Grilled Chicken, but it may be taking a back seat to this recipe.
I made this for the first time using boneless skinless chicken breasts, and they were delicious. But I think boneless skinless thighs do soak up more flavor after marinating overnight than chicken breasts do. Both are delicious, though.
The marinade for Tropical Grilled Chicken does have several ingredients, but all are easily found at the grocery store. I usually double the recipe when I make this marinade. I freeze half in a Ziploc bag for another date with the grill.
What’s In Tropical Grilled Chicken
- boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- fresh pineapple
- large red onion
- large white button mushrooms
- pineapple juice
- soy sauce
- brown sugar
- sesame oil
- red chili pepper flakes
- fresh ginger
- fresh garlic
- Worcestershire sauce
- juice of one small lemon
How to Make Tropical Grilled Chicken
- In a medium bowl, combine the pineapple juice, ketchup, soy sauce, honey, brown sugar, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, ginger, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, and salt.
- Reserve half of the marinade for basting.
- Place chicken and half the marinade in Ziploc bag.
- Marinate the chicken in the fridge for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Oil the grill grates with vegetable oil.
- Preheat the grill to medium high heat. A charcoal grill is ready when you can hold your hand 5 inches above the coals for 5 seconds.
- Remove chicken from marinade and place it on the grill.
- Cover grill and baste each time the chicken is turned over. Remove from the grill when done.
- Place pineapple, onion and mushrooms on skewers. Baste pineapple and vegetables once with some of the refrigerated marinade.
- Grill the fruit/vegetable skewers until they start to char.
Other Favorite Recipes for the Grill
Tropical Grilled Chicken
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 large pineapple cut into chunks
- 1 large red onion cut into chunks
- 1 pint large white button mushrooms sliced in half
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- juice of one small lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a medium size bowl, COMBINE the pineapple juice, ketchup, soy sauce, honey, brown sugar, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, ginger, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, and salt.
- RESERVE half of the marinade for basting.
- PLACE chicken and half the marinade in Ziploc bag. MARINATE in the fridge for 8 hours or overnight.
- OIL grill grates with vegetable oil. PREHEAT grill to medium high heat. (Charcoal grill is ready when you can hold your hand 5 inches above the coals for 5 seconds).
- REMOVE chicken from marinade and PLACE on the grill.
- COVER grill and BASTE each time chicken is turned over. REMOVE from the grill when done.
- PLACE pineapple, onion and mushrooms on skewers. BASTE once with some of the refrigerated marinade.
- GRILL fruit/vegetable skewers. MOVE to indirect heat as they start to char.