Time saver, money saver…life saver!
I’ve been making Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken for years. Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken is the best multipurpose recipe I think I’ve ever made. It’s the perfect solution for any dish that uses cooked chicken.
I never gave this recipe much thought until I started using it for my teen cooking classes.
Because it’s so simple to put together, it can be used for SO MANY recipes that kids (and adults) love to eat.
Tacos, enchiladas, chicken casserole, soup….the list seems endless.
Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken is the prefect swap for ready-made rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. Saves a trip to the grocery, and it’s a whole lot cheaper, too.
Perfect for the Freezer
Make a huge batch in a large slow cooker and you’ll have plenty for your freezer. That’s where the time saver part comes in.
Quart-size Ziploc bags are perfect for this. Easy to pack and store, with a quick defrost and your shredded chicken is recipe ready.
I thought it might be a dry after spending time in the freezer (it’s good frozen for about 2 months), but it’s not at all dry. At least not the way I use it–mostly casseroles, enchiladas and soup.
How to make Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
- Place boneless chicken breasts and water in the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the chicken with seasoning salt, garlic powder and dried minced onion.
- Cover and cook on low temperature setting for 6-8 hours or 4-6 hours on high.
- Begin checking for doneness at 4 hours.
- When chicken shreds easily with a fork, it’s done.
- If you’re using less chicken, it will cook quicker.
- When done, shred the chicken with 2 forks.
Great for Chicken Tacos
This recipe is perfect for making flavorful chicken tacos.
Just swap out the seasoning salt and garlic powder with about 2-3 teaspoons of your favorite taco seasoning.
Cook the chicken and shred it according to the recipe directions. Serve with soft or hard taco shells and your taco toppings of choice.
Recipes using Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
- 6 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt (I like to use McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning)
- 1 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- PLACE chicken and water in the slow cooker.
- SPRINKLE the seasonings on top of the chicken
- COVER and COOK on low for 3-5 hours on high and up to 8 hours on low (depending on how hot your slow cooker gets)
- When done, SHRED the chicken with 2 forks.