Sheet Pan Roast Chicken with Cabbage
I love this Sheet Pan Roast Chicken with Cabbage recipe because it comes together so quickly and it only uses one pan. Because the pan is lined with parchment paper or foil, clean up is super simple. It’s the perfect weeknight meal.
With the main ingredients being chicken and cabbage, this recipe is budget friendly.
The dressing ingredients–olive oil, sesame oil, rice vinegar and sriracha–can be found at most grocery stores that have an Asian foods section.
Substitutions and Additions
You can use melted coconut oil instead of olive oil when making Sheet Pan Roast Chicken with Cabbage. Using coconut oil gives the dish a more “island-style” flavor. It’s delicious.
If you’re using coconut oil, just remember to first measure and then melt it.
If your chicken is not at room temperature when you combine it with the dressing, the coconut oil will begin to harden. Don’t worry about it. Just mix quickly and put it on the pan. It will melt once it hits the oven’s heat.
You can also add peeled chopped apples to the cabbage mixture. I like to use Granny Smith but any type of apple will work. The apples give the dish a definite fall flavor. Yum! And they even kick up the nutritional value of the recipe.
To make Sheet Pan Roast Chicken with Cabbage
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare the Sesame Soy Sauce “dressing.”
- Divide the dressing–use 1/4 of it for the chicken and 3/4 of it for the cabbage.
- Place chicken in a large bowl and add the dressing. Mix to coat.
- Prep the cabbage by cutting it into 1-inch thick wedges or pieces. You don’t have to be exact here.
- Place the cabbage in another large bowl and add the remaining “dressing.” Toss to coat evenly.
- Place the chicken on a parchment paper-lined or foil-lined rimmed sheet pan (jelly roll pan).
- Sprinkle a little seasoning salt on the chicken pieces.
- Roast the chicken on its own for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and add the cabbage to the sheet pan. There will be a lot of cabbage but make it all fit on the pan. You can even place some of it under the chicken.
- After 20 minutes of cooking, remove the chicken to a platter and cover it with foil to keep it warm.
- Return the pan with the cabbage to the oven.
- Continue to roast the chicken until the juices reduce in amount (until almost gone) and the cabbage edges begin to get crispy–about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place cabbage on a platter with the chicken and serve.
Other Fall Favorites
Sheet Pan Roast Chicken with Cabbage
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or melted coconut oil)
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Sriracha (or to taste) (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 pieces bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 head green cabbage
- PREHEAT the oven to 425 degrees.
- LINE a rimmed sheet pan with parchment paper or foil.
- In a small bowl, COMBINE olive oil, sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sriracha and garlic powder.
- PLACE the chicken in a large bowl and ADD 1/4 of the dressing mixture to the bowl. MIX to completely coat the chicken.
- CUT cabbage and half and remove the core. CUT remaining cabbage into 1-inch wide wedges or pieces (don’t have to be exact but keep it close in size).
- PLACE the cabbage in a large bowl.
- POUR remaining dressing over the cabbage and MIX to coat cabbage evenly.
- PLACE chicken on prepared sheet pan.
- SPRINKLE chicken pieces with a little seasoning salt.
- ROAST the chicken for 10 minutes.
- REMOVE pan from the oven. ADD the cabbage to the pan, placing it all around the chicken thighs. (It’s a lot of cabbage but make it all fit).
- RETURN to oven and ROAST for 20 to 25 until chicken is cooked through.
- TRANSFER chicken to a platter and COVER to keep warm.
- ROAST cabbage for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the juices have reduced and cabbage begins to caramelize.
- PLACE caramelized cabbage on platter with chicken thighs. SERVE.