Roasted Chicken–An Easy Recipe for Dinner
When your day is hectic, this one pan Roasted Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Dates comes to your rescue. It’s my favorite kind of recipe–it’s super easy to prepare with easy cleanup. ONE PAN!
Sweet Potatoes, a super food, is a main ingredients. They’re packed full of nutrition to maintain your immune system and overall health (vitamins A, B6, C, D, and iron, magnesium, fiber, iron).
And the Dates? Yes, they are loaded with sugar (47-48 g of sugar per serving), but they’re also loaded with lots of other healthy ingredients–potassium (heart health), magnesium (strong bones), and fiber (digestive health).
I’ve never actually cooked with dates before. For baking, yes. For cooking, no. But I promise you they work here, adding just the right amount of flavor.
And Who Doesn’t Love Simple
I LOVE one-pan dinners, and this one for Roasted Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Dates is a keeper recipe. And the best part? It just plain works. It only requires the use of a few measuring spoons, a measuring cup, readily available ingredients, a large bowl to mix everything together, and a 9- x 13-inch or an 11-by-17-inch baking pan to dump it all in to roast.
How to Make Roasted Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Dates
Making this dish is so simple it’s embarrassing. Put all the spices and “liquid” ingredients in a large bowl. Mix to combine. Add the chicken, sweet potatoes, and dates. Mix it all together. Pour in into a baking pan (lined with foil for easier cleanup). Bake in a 375-degree oven for 45 minutes til done. Start checking it at 35 minutes (juices from chicken should run clear).
Move Over Chicken Marbella?
One of my most favorite one-pan dinner recipes ever has to be Chicken Marbella from The Silver Palate Cookbook. Popular for many of us as a main dish during the 1980s progressive dinner craze (and, yes, it’s been that LONG ago), Chicken Marbella worked because of its simplicity and unusual yet delicious flavor combinations.
And now there’s this recipe for Roasted Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Dates, adapted from a recipe I found in recently published cookbook, Now & Again. It’s a sibling or really close cousin to Chicken Marbella–simple, unusual and best of all, DELICIOUS! A guaranteed guest pleaser.
I’m not sure why the flavor combinations work but it does. With just that little it of sweet to offset that little bit of savory…Oh yum!
Did I mention that it makes your kitchen smell amazing while roasting? Yes, it does that, too!
Roasted Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Dates
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1 /2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 3- to 4-pound chicken, cut into pieces
- 3 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into small cubes
- 10 large dried dates pitted and cut into very small pieces
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley optional
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, MIX together the vinegar, olive oil, water, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. ADD the chicken pieces, sweet potatoes, and dates. MIX to combine, making sure the chicken, sweet potatoes, and dates are completely coated with liquid mixture.
- PLACE chicken, sweet potatoes and dates in a single layer in a 9-x 13-inch or 11-by-17-inch baking pan.
- ROAST, basting every 10-15 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender and the chicken pieces are cooked through, approximately 45-55 minutes. (Start checking at 35 minutes if using boneless pieces) Let chicken sit at room temperature for 15 minutes or longer before serving to allow flavors to meld together.
- SPRINKLE the herbs over the chicken and SERVE.