Pistachio Pesto Pasta
This Pistachio Pesto Pasta is a fresh-tasting spin on a classic pesto recipe.
Instead of basil, which isn’t always great tasting during the fall, winter and spring, I’m using cilantro.
Pistachios replace pine nuts in this recipe–still delicious but less expensive. The addition of Thai green curry paste gives the dish additional flavor, with just a touch of heat. Use less if you don’t want it spicy but don’t leave it out. Thai green curry paste is easy to find in the Asian section of most grocery stores.
What’s In Pistachio Pesto Pasta
- extra-virgin olive oil
- green onions
- roasted and salted pistachios,
- Thai green curry paste
- lime zest
- lime juice
- bow tie pasta
- frozen peas
How to Make Pistachio Pesto Pasta
- In a blender, combine the oil, 3/4 cup scallions, 1/3 cup pistachios, 1/2 cup cilantro, garlic, curry paste, lime zest, and lime juice.
- Blend until a pesto forms. I like to leave the mixture a little chunky so I don’t blend it too long.
- Taste and add salt.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water.
- Drain the pasta.
- Return the pasta and 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water to the pot.
- Add the pesto and peas.
- Stir the mixture over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes until heated through.
- Add additional pasta water if the sauce is too thick, a little at a time.
- Taste and add additional salt if needed.
- Top the pasta with remaining pistachios, scallions, and cilantro before serving.
Other Favorite Pasta Recipes
Pistachio Pesto Pasta
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 green onions sliced (about 1 cup), divided
- ⅔ cup chopped roasted and salted pistachios divided
- 3/4 cup chopped cilantro divided
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 5 teaspoons Thai green curry paste
- 1 teaspoon lime zest and 3 Tablespoons lime juice 2 limes
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 12 ounces bow tie pasta
- 1 10- ounce package frozen peas thawed
- In a blender, COMBINE oil, 3/4 cup scallions, 1/3 cup pistachios, ½ cup cilantro, garlic, curry paste, lime zest, and lime juice. BLEND until a pesto forms. TASTE and ADD salt.
- COOK pasta according to package directions.
- RESERVE 1 cup of the pasta water. DRAIN pasta and RETURN pasta and 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water to the pot.
- ADD pesto and peas.
- STIR mixture over medium-high heat about 3 minutes until heated through.
- ADD additional pasta water if sauce is too thick.
- TASTE and ADD additional salt if needed.
- TOP pasta with remaining pistachios, scallions, and cilantro.