Ninfa’s Green Sauce
One thing I remember about eating at Ninfa’s Restaurant is their green sauce. Served along side their traditional red salsa and chips, is Ninfa’s Green Sauce–smooth, tangy and delcious. To me, it tastes like a richer-tasting salsa verde.
A combination of green tomatoes, tomatillos, jalapeno, garlic with avocado, sour cream and cilantro mixed in makes for a delcious dipping sauce for chips or for topping a taco, or a burrito, or an enchilada…
What’s In Ninfa’s Green Sauce
- green tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- tomatillos, husked and coarsely chopped
- jalapeño, stemmed, seeded and coarsely chopped
- garlic cloves, peeled
- kosher salt
- avocados, peeled and pitted
- sour cream
How to Make Ninfa’s Green Sauce
- Place chopped tomatoes, tomatillos, jalapeños, garlic and salt into a saucepan.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of water to start the mixture boiling.
- Cover and reduce the heat.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Place the mixture in a blender or food processor.
- Add the avocados and cilantro.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add sour cream and blend for another few seconds until mixed well.
- Serve with your favorite tortilla chips or as a topping for tacos.
A few more things
- This makes A LOT of sauce. I usually cut everything in half and it still makes plenty.
- Over the years I’ve cut way back on the original amount of sour cream (1 1/2 cups), and now use no more than 3/4 cup. I find the tangy creaminess is still present with a little less fat. When I know I’m serving this as a sour cream replacement or to a sour cream lover, I’ll up the amount to 1 cup.
Other Favorite Salsas
Ninfa’s green sauce
- 3 medium-sized green tomatoes rough chopped
- 4-5 tomatillos husked rough chopped
- 1-2 jalapeños stemmed and rough chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 medium-sized ripe avocados peeled and pitted
- 4 sprigs cilantro
- 3/4 cups sour cream
- PLACE chopped tomatoes, tomatillos, jalapeños, garlic and salt into a saucepan.
- ADD 2 Tablespoons of water.
- BRING to a boil.
- COVER and REDUCE heat. SIMMER for 10-15 minutes.
- REMOVE from heat and COOL, about 10 minutes.
- PLACE the mixture in a food processor or blender.
- ADD the avocados and cilantro.
- BLEND until smooth.
- ADD sour cream and BLEND until mixed well.
- SERVE with tortilla chips or as a topping for tacos.