Garbanzo Bean Salad is a great make-ahead salad. Delicious and so healthy.
It’s a make-ahead dressing not only for the flavors to meld but because there’s a some work involved.
Get your knife ready for some peeling, chopping and slicing of the veggies. Trust me on this. It really is worth it.
Garbanzo Bean Salad–Your Perfect BBQ Side
This bean salad definitely is the perfect side dish for your next BBQ.
And with no mayo, so its a lighter version of so many sides. I love all the freshness, too. Loaded with protein and fibers, especially from the garbanzos, and so many nutrients. I lost count.
If you have any leftover chicken or a little zucchini, broccoli, or cauliflower in the fridge, toss it in? Chop it up and add it. This is such an adaptable recipe. One more reason to love it.
I’ve been know to make it a meatless meal on more than one occasion. It’s a great snack to have in the fridge for those days when you walk in from work or school you’re starving to death. Much better to reach for a couple spoonfuls of garbanzo bean salad than a bunch of chips.
The Greek Dressing
Your favorite Italian or Greek salad dressing works well, but this homemade version is so much better. Isn’t everything homemade better?
This Greek Salad Dressing is a fresh lemon-based version that uses extra virgin olive oil. I use a good quality olive oil so the flavors really pop.
It’s super easy to put together. Even better is that this dressing works great for any tossed salad or even as an overnight marinade for chicken. Try it!
Garbanzo Bean Salad
- 2 15-oz cans garbanzo beans, drained
- 2 cucumbers, halved lengthwise, seeded and diced
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ medium red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 2.5-oz can sliced black olives, drained
- 3-4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup Greek or Italian-style salad dressing (for homemade version, see below)
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
GREEK SALAD DRESSING
- 1 large lemon, juiced (5 Tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar more to taste
- 2 medium-size cloves garlic, finely minced (or ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅔ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- COMBINE vegetables and seasoning. ADD dressing. TOSS together to combine.
- REFRIGERATE two hours or more before serving. Serve chilled.
GREEK SALAD DRESSING
- COMBINE all ingredients and SERVE.
- REFRIGERATE remaining dressing for later use on a salad or as a marinade.