Perfect Recipe for When I’m Feeling Lazy
When you know you have kids to get to basketball practice, dance practice, or gymnastics, this recipe is for you. When you know you’ll be staying late at work because of a meeting, this recipe is for you.
For those days you just know you’ll be too stinkin’ TIRED to cook! Easy chicken and dumplings made in the slow cooker to the rescue.
These easy chicken and dumplings that can be made in the slow cooker are ALMOST as good as Grandma’s. Okay, maybe not quite that good, but if you’re tired, they taste close enough.
It may not be the healthiest recipe in my collection, but it’s easy to make, cheaper than fast food, and the ingredients are convenient to find, even at my local Dollar General (except for my Amish chicken). Kids LOVE it! You can even skip the seasoning for a still tasty result.
It does not get any easier than this recipe for Chicken and Dumplings. Like I said, if you’re looking for super healthy, this recipe isn’t that. It easy and better for you than the chicken nuggets, Quarter Pounder (with fries, of course), than you’d order at McDonald’s or the like.
How to Make Chicken and Dumplings in the Slow Cooker
- Place chicken, poultry seasoning, paprika, garlic powder, butter, cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, and onion the slow cooker.
- Stir to combine.
- Cook on HIGH for 5 hours.
- About 1 hour before the chicken is done, add the frozen peas (no need to defrost). Stir to combine.
- Place the biscuit dough quarters on top of the chicken. Press down to be sure the liquid almost covers the biscuit. Replace the cover and let it cook for another hour.
- Check one of the biscuits to be sure it is not raw and doughy looking on the inside.
- If it looks done, you’re ready to eat. If it looks raw, replace the cover and let it cook for another 15-20 minutes.
Other Family Favorite Slow Cooker Recipes
Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 10 ounce package refrigerated biscuit dough, cut into quarters (I use Pillsbury Grands)
- In a small bowl, COMBINE poultry seasoning, paprika and garlic powder.
- POUR chicken broth into the slow cooker. ADD the chicken. SPRINKLE with seasonings. TOP with and onion. STIR to combine.
- COOK for 5 to 6 hours on High. About 1 hour before serving, ADD the
peas and PLACE biscuit dough pieces gently into the slow cooker. Be sure
liquid almost covers the entire biscuit.
- REPLACE cover and COOK on high until the dough is cooked through (not raw in the center), about 1 hour.