Coconut Date Bites–The Perfect Energy Snack
Coconut Date Bites are the perfect healthy quick energy snack.
The recipe uses 4 ingredients (5 if you use peanut or almond butter), and all ingredients are easy to find at the grocery store. Easy to make and perfectly delicious.
Did I mention healthy? Coconut Date Bites are loaded with dates, coconuts and walnuts–a great source of fiber, potassium, zinc, magnesium, and calcium. But the “quick energy” comes from the high natural sugar content in these bites, so eat them in moderation.
Making this energy snack is a great way to get kids interested in cooking. They can do most of the work themselves with minimal mess. I promise you that they will love this no bake treat.
Making a Date with Dates
Dates are a main ingredient in Coconut Date Bites. But not all dates are the same. This recipe uses Medjool dates and NOT regular dates (Neglet Noor). Be sure to buy the right type. Medjool dates are often found in the produce department. Regular dates are usually found in the baking aisle since they’re usually used in baking.
Regular dates = fruit cake and nut bars.
Medjool dates are larger in size than regular dates and are much sweeter. They have a sticky caramely consistency, which makes them perfect this recipe.
If you’re just looking for something to snack on, either date will work. If you’re making this coconut date snack, though, you’ll need to use Medjool dates.
How to Make Coconut Date Bites
- Remove the pits from the dates.
- Place dates in a food processor and pulse until a thick paste forms.
- Add the peanut butter and pulse to combine.
- Add the walnuts, vanilla and 1/4 cup of the coconut and pulse until completely combined and a thick paste forms.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl.
- Pour the remaining coconut into a separate shallow bowl (I use a pie plate).
- Scoop out about 2 Tablespoons of the date mixture and roll into a ball.
- Coat the each ball with coconut, pressing the coconut into the ball.
- Place each Coconut Date Bite in mini paper cupcake liners.
Other Favorite Desserts
Coconut Date Bites
- 2 cups dried Mejool dates (remove the pitts)
- 1-2 Tablespoons peanut or almond butter (optional)
- 1/4 cup raw walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Using a food processor, PULSE the dates to create a thick paste.
- ADD the peanut butter and PULSE.
- ADD the walnuts, vanilla and 1/4 cup shredded coconut. MIX until a thick paste forms.
- TRANSFER mixture to a medium bowl.
- SCOOP out 2 Tablespoons at a time of the mixture and ROLL each into a round ball.
- ROLL each in the coconut, gently pressing coconut into each ball.
- I like to serve in mini cupcake liners.
- Instead of using coconut, try rolling in 1/4 cup cocoa powder or chopped nuts.