Butternut Squash with Pumpkin Seeds
Butternut Squash with Pumpkin Seed Pesto, a super healthy and delcious recipe, has become my new Fall favorite.
I don’t need an excuse to eat squash or pumpkin seeds;I love them both. But knowing how healthy they both are, I’m making an extra effort to prepare meals and snacks to include them in my diet as often as I can.
I’m adding pumpkin seeds to my cereal or oatmeal in the morning and to my salads at lunch. Since pumpkin seeds also make a great grab-and-go snack, I’ve been making my own trail mix with extra pumpkin seeds.
And butternut squash can be found in some of my sheet pan dinners, and one of my favorites for this time of the year, Squachos (Butternut Squash and Black Bean Nachos), is always a hit with my students.
Health Benefits of eating Butternut Squash and Pumpkin Seeds
But what’s so healthy about butternut squash and pumpkin seeds?
Butternut squash contains many immune-boosters, anti-inflammatories, and disease-fighting antioxidants.
Some studies show that butternut squash can decrease your blood pressure, improve your eyesight, strengthen your bones, slow down skin wrinkling, reduce arthritis symptoms, and help with weight loss.
Pumpkin seeds are loaded with fiber to keep your digestive system in good working order. Just 1 ounce of pumpkin seeds provides almost 9 g of fiber. It’s recommended we try to get at least 25 g of fiber eat day, so eating a generous handfuls’ worth of pumpkin seeds really helps meet that goal.
Then there’s vitamin E and zinc, which boosts your immune system. And plenty of magnesium–good for us migraine sufferers.
Some studies show that eating pumpkin seeds is a great way to keep your bladder and prostate healthy and your skin glowing and wrinkle free.
What’s In the recipe
- Peeled and cubed (3-pound) butternut squash, about 6 cups. You can use two 16-ounce packages of precut butternut squash from the grocery store.
- Olive oil
- Pumpkin Seed Pesto
How to Make Butternut Squash with Pumpkin Seed Pesto
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss the squash with olive oil and salt.
- Spread squash out evenly on a parchment paper-lined sheet pan.
- Roast squash for 25-30 minutes, turning halfway through, until edges will begin to brown.
- Toss the roasted squash with Pumpkin Seed Pesto.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with roasted pumpkin seeds for garnish (optional)
- Serve immediately.
Other Favorite Fall Recipes
Butternut Squash with Pumpkin-Seed Pesto
- 1 3-pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes (about 6 cups)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seed pesto
- PREHEAT oven to 400 degrees.
- TOSS butternut squash with olive oil and salt.
- SPREAD squash evenly on a parchment paper-lined sheet pan.
- ROAST for 25-30 minutes, turning halfway through, until edges begin to brown.
- TOSS roasted squash with pumpkin seed pesto. ADD salt and pepper to taste.
- SERVE immediately