BLT Chopped Salad
I’m still not ready to get off the chopped salad kick that I’ve been on lately (there are worse things), so today my leftovers from prepping yesterday’s Southwestern Chopped Salad became today’s BLT Chopped Salad.
Taking advantage of a rare occasion when I have leftover bacon at my house, I used the two slices I found in the fridge to garnish this BLT Chopped Salad recipe. It added just that little extra flavor and crunch to the Southwestern Chopped Salad. Oh so good!
How to make this salad
I first made up the salad dressing, which was just a simple combination of extra-virgin olive oil and the juice of 1 lime. Sometimes I’ll add about 1/4 teaspoon of red wine vinegar or rice vinegar to make it just a little bit more tangy. Set this aside until you’re ready to serve the salad. Otherwise, your salad gets wimpy and wilty.
Next, start chopping your vegetables into small pieces. By chopping all the vegetables into even siz-ed pieces, you’ll get a little taste of vegetable crispness and flavor in every bite you eat. I think that’s what I love best about chopped salads.
If you’re not ready to serve the salad, cover the bowl and set it in the fridge.
If you don’t want to use the olive oil and fresh lime juice dressing, feel free to use whichever type you prefer. Kids love Ranch, of course, and that works just fine.
I like to top my BLT Chopped Salad with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
BLT Chopped Salad
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 romaine heart chopped , about 1 ½ cups
- ½ iceberg lettuce head chopped, about 1 ½ cups
- 1 large orange or red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 5 green onions white and green parts, chopped
- ½ small red onion chopped
- 1 avocado chopped
- 2 slices bacon fried to a crisp and crumbled
- ¼ cup feta cheese or to taste
- Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- a few tortilla chips crumbled (optional)
- In a small bowl COMBINE olive oil and lime juice. SET ASIDE.
- Finely CHOP romaine, bell pepper, tomatoes, green onions and red onion.
- Place all chopped vegetables in a large bowl. ADD avocado, bacon, feta cheese.
- MIX and then ADD dressing, TOSS to combine.
- TOP with freshly grated Parm and some crumbled tortilla chips for added crunch.