Best Kebab Marinade
This recipe for the Best Kebab Marinade is one of the most flavorful marinades I’ve ever made. After a few hours of marinating, the meat and veggie kebabs taste restaurant-quality good!
None of the ingredients are unusual or difficult to find. I love it when that happens.
And other than the time it takes to thread the meat and veg onto the skewers (get someone to help you), there’s nothing too difficult about making the recipe.
The marinade makes plenty. You can always cut the recipe in half, but since it’s so good, I freeze the half for future kebabs.
Works for Beef, Chicken and even Vegetables
For the most flavor, I like to use sirloin steak. I marinate the steak for up to 8 hours.
If you choose to go with chicken, marinate for about 6 hours. Marinating the chicken too long changes the texture of the chicken and not in a good way. The flavor is good but the consistency is mushy consistency.
Since I’ve been trying find a way to add more vegetables to my diet, I use this marinade for grilled just vegetables. I marinate vegetables for about 1 hour.
What’s in Best Kebab Marinade
- vegetable oil
- soy sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- onion powder
- garlic powder or fresh garlic cloves
- dried parsley
- dry mustard
- black pepper
- red wine vinegar
- fresh lemon juice
Tips for the Best Kebabs
- Vegetables should be around the same size as the pieces of meat
- For even cooking, don’t thread the meat and vegetables too tightly on the skewer.
- Place 3 vegetable chunks between each piece of meat. It looks better that way.
- I put 3 layers of red onion on the skewer at a time.
- Try to stick with top sirloin for the beef and boneless chicken breasts or thighs for the chicken.
- If I’m preparing this just for my own family, I often put the meat and veggies on separate skewers. This way I don’t have to worry about the veggies being grilled to perfection and the meat being overcooked or vice versa.
Other Grill Favorite Recipes
Best Kabob Marinade
- 1/2 cup vegetabe oil
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or 2 cloves fresh garlic)
- 2 Tablespoons dry mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 pounds top round or sirloin been steaks cut into large cubes*
- 2 red,yellow, orange or green bell peppers cut into large cubes
- 2 large sweet Vidalia or red onion cut into large cubes
- 4 zucchinis or yellow squash sliced into rounds
- 1 pint small white or baby bellas mushrooms
- 8 wooden or metal skewers
- COMBINE marinade ingredients in a large bowl, and WHISK together to combine.
- PLACE meat in a bowl and POUR marinade over meat. COVER with a plastic wrap and REFRIGERATE for 8 hours for beeft, 6 hours for chicken, and 1 hour for vegetables.
- PREHEAT the grill.
- PLACE marinated meat on soaked skewers, alternating meat, 2 vegetables, and then meat. (I often place meat and vegetables on separate skewers for ensure even cooking time).
- GRILL the skewers.
- TURN skewers frequently and brush with reserved marinade until all sides have browned, approximately 15 minutes or until desired doneness.
- *Boneless chicken can also be used but only marinate for 6-8 hours. Overnight marinating OVER tenderizes the chicken.
- *If using wooden skewers, soak in water for about 30 minutes.