Best Ever Grilled Chicken
Years ago I ordered the Best Ever Grilled Chicken sandwich I ever ate while visiting my sister in LA.
Maybe it was just the entire experience of spending a week relaxing on the beach or pool and spending time with family, but that chicken was a memory I have carried with me for years.
I spent lots of time under an umbrella on that trip, enjoying a summer beach read and visiting with my sister and her family. When it came time to eat, we ordered baskets of chicken strips, burgers and fries for the kids, and she and I split a grilled chicken sandwich with a side salad.
For years I’ve been trying to find a grilled chicken recipe that was as delicious as that one. This Best Ever Grilled Chicken recipe comes really close.
Fire up the Grill
This recipe has the perfect combination of of tangy and sweet. It’s kind of like a very light teriyaki chicken. The flavors are just right.
I like to pair it with my Apple Cranberry Pecan Slaw or a light Grilled Zucchini and Asparagus Salad. But Best Ever Grilled Chicken goes with everything.
What’s in Best Ever Grilled Chicken
The marinade is made up fridge and pantry staples so it’s easy to put together.
- cider vinegar
- stone-ground mustard
- fresh garlic
- fresh lemon and lime juice
- brown sugar
- black pepper
- olive oil
- boneless chicken breasts
A few Helpful Hints
- I’ve also been known to use Dijon mustard if I don’t have any stone-ground brown mustard on hand. Yellow mustard seems too mustardy so don’t use it.
- I love using lots of garlic, but feel free to adjust it to your taste. If your garlic cloves are large, cut the amount back to maybe 2 cloves.
- Use FRESH lemon and lime juice ONLY for this recipe.
- Be sure you have time to marinate the Best Ever Grilled Chicken. Overnight seems to work best. but make it at least 6-8 hours. Marinating any longer than overnight, though, gives the grilled chicken a chewy and spongy texture. You don’t want that.
- Grill up a big batch. It’s the perfect leftover. I use this grilled chicken the next day in my salad or add some sautéed onions and bell peppers (any color) for quick fajitas topped with guacamole and fresh salsa.
How to Make Best Ever Grilled Chicken
- Combine the vinegar, mustard, garlic, lime juice, lemon juice, brown sugar, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Whisk in the olive oil.
- Add the chicken to the marinade mixture
- Cover and place in the fridge to marinate for about 8 hours or overnight.
- When ready to cook, preheat the grill to high heat. Be sure to oil the grill plate so the chicken won’t stick.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade (discard marinade), and place the chicken on the grill. Cook for about 6-8 minutes per side, until juices run clear.
Other Grill Season Favorites
Roasted Green Beans and Sweet Potatoes
Best Ever Grilled Chicken
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons stone-ground mustard
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1½-2 teaspoons salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 6 Tablespoons olive oil
- 6 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- In a large glass bowl, MIX the cider vinegar, mustard, garlic, lime juice, lemon juice, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. WHISK in the olive oil.
- PLACE chicken in the mixture. COVER and marinate 8 hours or overnight.
- PREHEAT an outdoor grill for high heat.
- LIGHTLY OIL the grill grate.
- PLACE chicken on the prepared grill. DISCARD marinade.
- COOK 6 to 8 minutes per side, until juices run clear.
Leave a Reply