Almost Fresh Salsa
I love fresh salsa! I’ve been known to make a meal of chips, salsa and guacamole. I even judge a Mexican restaurant by the quality of their salsa–fresh is best with the right amount of spicy heat. And the chips should be thin, fresh and perfectly salted to earn an A grade.
So how do I get my salsa fix when outdoor temps scream winter? I whip up a batch of Almost Fresh Salsa.
My family of taste testers agree that this salsa recipe can stand up to any ready-made salsa you can buy. This salsa is ALMOST as delicious as my summer salsa. Emphasis on ALMOST! Nothing beats salsa made with fresh-from-the-garden summer tomatoes.
Almost Fresh Salsa Secrets
The secret is in the little pint-sized boxes of SWEET tomatoes I find at Aldi or at any market. Just make sure the box says SWEET on the package. That’s the secret!
I combine those sweet cherry/grape tomatoes with a can of drained Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes. Any brand of fire roasteds will work with this recipe.
The only reason I use the Walmart Great Value brand because it has a pull tab. That means I can skip searching through my disorganized utensil drawer for the can opener.
I also add the juice from 1 lime AND lime zest. Limes, and especially lime zest, give this salsa a super fresh flavor. So don’t skimp on the lime juice.
How to Make Fresh Winter Salsa
Combine the the jalapeno pepper, drained canned tomatoes, sweet grape tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, garlic, cilantro, lime zest, lime juice, cider vinegar, oregano, paprika or chipotle powder (if using), cumin, and salt in a food processor or blender.
Blend until all ingredients are combined but still chunky.
- Serve with your favorite tortilla chips.
Other Great Salsa Recipes
Almost Fresh Salsa
- 1-2 fresh jalapeno peppers, rough chopped (I include seeds because I like it hot)
- 1 pint SWEET grape tomatoes (make sure label says sweet)
- 1 14.5-oz can diced fire-roasted chopped tomatoes, drained
- 1 medium size bell pepper. rough chopped (any color works)
- 1 small sweet or red onion, rough chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika or chipotle powder (optional for smoky flavor)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2-1 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
- COMBINE the jalapeno pepper, tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, garlic, cilantro, lime zest, lime juice, cider vinegar, oregano, paprika or chipotle powder (if using), cumin, and salt in a food processor or blender.
- PULSE/BLEND until all ingredients are combined but still chunky. Taste to check for seasoning. Add more cumin or salt if desired. SERVE.