Apple, Cranberry and Candied Pecan Coleslaw is the perfect Fall recipe, with ingredients that are easy to find in any grocery store this time of the year. It is nutrition packed, with cabbage, carrots, apples, nuts and yogurt. I even used mostly Greek yogurt instead of my usual go-to, Hellman’s mayo.
One of the things I like about this recipe is there’s lots of room to improvise. If you want to keep this a little healthier and don’t mind a less creamier texture then use 1/4 c mayo and 3/4 c yogurt. Just remember to taste the dressing after combining ingredients and adjust accordingly, I usually add a little Dijon mustard because I usually think it needs a “little something.” I also use a little more like ½ cup honey—I like a sweeter flavor with my coleslaw. But you can be the judge of that.
As for the apples, I used a mix of Pink Lady, because they’re extra healthy (tied for healthiest with Red Delicious BTW), and Granny Smith, because they’re tangy and don’t turn brown quite as fast as the others. Feel free to use whatever works best for you or whatever you have lurking in the fridge.
And the nuts, I planned to just use candied pecans and then felt a little guilty about all that sugar, so I went halfsies—candied pecans and walnuts. Once again, your choice. Toasted sliced almonds might be nice or even sunflower or pumpkin seeds.
This is a great side dish for pulled pork sandwiches or any BBQ sandwich.
Apple and Cranberry Coleslaw
- ½ cup plain Greek Yogurt I used Fage 2% brand
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼-½ cup honey closer to ¼ cup for me
- 2-3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½-1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard optional but it adds a little
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste I used closer to 1 teaspoon
- freshly ground black pepper
- 6-8 cups shredded coleslaw mix or 1 small cabbage shredded (6-8 cups packed)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 large apples sliced into matchsticks (about 3 cups) (I used 1 Red Delicious and 1 Granny Smith)
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- ¾ cup candied pecans or walnuts rough chopped (any nuts or even sunflower seeds work here)
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
COMBINE Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, honey, apple cider vinegar, and mustard (if using) in a mixing bowl and WHISK until smooth.
ADD salt and pepper, taste and add more if needed.
In a large mixing bowl, COMBINE slaw mix (or shredded cabbage), carrots, apples, green onions, nuts and cranberries. ADD dressing and TOSS to coat evenly. SERVE immediately.